Friday, November 30

# News

Man get Face Transplant after Surving Gunshot During a Suicide Attempt

California - A US citizen named Cam Underwood, 26, was left with just a forehead, eyeballs and tongue when he tried to take his own life two years ago. Since then has undergone multiple operations in the most technologically advanced face transplant ever.

Cam said he now enjoys everything he use to do before he try taking his life.

‘I’ve been able to get back to many of the activities I love, like being outdoors, playing sports, and spending time with my family. I hope to get back to work soon, too, and someday start a family.’ Before his suicide attempt he suffered depression years and told his parents that he had considered killing himself. He woke up in hospital in California five weeks after taking a gun to his own head, unable to eat and talk, and ashamed to see people without wearing a mask.

Dr Eduardo Rodriguez from New York University Langone Health heard about his case and in January this year a donor for the face transplant became available. His recovery has been so remarkable that he was able to take part in a skydive within just a few months of the transplant.



Dr Rodriguez said: ‘I can at least check off the box that a face transplant can tolerate jumping 15,000 out of the air – and it all held together. I think this photo [of him skydiving] shows Cam is living and doing the things he loves.’ At one point the operation was in jeopardy because of an arctic storm that hit the US but he made it from California to New York for the operation. His donor was Will Fisher who died in New York after a battle with mental illness. He was a registered as a donor and a similar age to Cam so his mother Sally agreed to the transplant.

Cam said during an emotional press conference: ‘Mom, Dad, Julie, Aaron, and Brad, thank you for not giving up on me. It hasn’t been easy, but it’s been worth it. ‘I especially want to thank Live On New York and Will and Sally Fisher – my donor and his mom

‘I want Sally and her family to know how much my family and I appreciate their gift and that I will always honour Will’s legacy.’

Graphic Images


No comments:

Post a Comment